Saturday 13 October 2012

I had a black dog

...his name was depression... a thought-provoking video produced by the WHO for World Mental Health Day, this week.  Thanks to Opinionated Vicar for flagging this one up for me.   I've a copy of Matthew and Ainsley Johnstone's "Living with a Black Dog - How to take care of someone with depression while looking after yourself," on my shelves; it's been  a real godsend for me .  With happy memories of a friend's lovely  - now late lamented - black lab, I'm not that keen on the use of the doggy imagery myself but can't deny the analogy works so very well at explaining the dark maze of depression and other associated mental health conditions.  The Black Dog has cast his shadow over both sides of our family to varying degrees for many many years; anything that can help keep him in his place is  welcome.



1 comment:

  1. Ooh that's good. Thank you, GP!

    (As a former (real, furry) black dog owner, I worried about the doggy aspect too - until I found that the chap had ended up making friends with his dog, bringing him to heel. After all, a feral dog's no fun at all, whether he's metaphorical or otherwise...)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.