Tuesday 21 April 2015

A-Z Day 21: Railways



R is for: rainbows, rats, relativity, raffia, renaissance, Rome,  rants and, best of all, railways.

I love  rail travel, which is just as well, given that as one of that rare breed - a non-driver, I do an awful lot of it; at minimum one -  sometimes up to three times a week. The staff at our local station are beginning to recognise me! 

Part of the reason I'm so fond of it is because of the space it gives me; I do some of my best thinking on good old FGW, Cross-Country, South-Western, and, on very special occasions - Arriva Wales. There are curiosities to discover: like the labyrinth installations  on the London Underground, the Paddington Statue on Paddington Station. Nearer to home, I'm pleased to report that the memorial plaque to young Henry West is now safely back in its place of honour on Platform 7.

Much much further afield is the spectacular scenery along the famous West Highland Line, where Mr GP and I spent a wonderful day as part of our grand hike from the North of England to Oban, four years ago. If you ever have the chance to visit the Western Highlands, please, please don't leave the area without booking a trip; you'll be in for a truly memorable experience, I promise.

It's getting late, so I'll leave you with today's musical treats: Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, (whose playing once inspired Mr GP to learn the flute) in Locomotive Breath, and the old favourite: Love Train by the O'Jays.




2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful part of bonny Scotland. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your blog, too, Fee. My mother's side of the family were all from Scotland, but I must have missed out on hearing a lot of the folklore. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.