Tuesday 10 July 2012

Icons


Definition of icon Oxford dictionaries online
noun
  • 1(also ikon)
    a devotional painting of Christ or another holy figure, typically executed on wood and used ceremonially in the Byzantine and other Eastern Churches.
  • 2a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration:this iron-jawed icon of American manhood

  • 3 Computing a symbol or graphic representation on a screen of a program, option, or window.
  • 4 Linguistics a sign which has a characteristic in common with the thing it signifies, for example the word snarl pronounced in a snarling way.
Nothing from me this morning but a link to check out: an account of the blessing and installation of Apocalypse Icon's recent pieces of work. A most wonderful blessing, as she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.