Sunday 22 July 2012

Trinity 7: Mary Magdalene - longing for God

From  the beautiful Oh God, Hear My Cry in Janet Morley's anthology All Desires Known.


...Like the sudden rain upon the grass
and like the sunlight
my God is come to me;
as the footfall of a child who was lost,
as the rhythm of an unremembered song.

Your coming is like freedom to the prisoner,
like the return of those long captive.
You are the movements of the dance I had forgotten,
you are the face of satisfied desire.

My soul is stirred for you, my beloved.
I cannot contain my heart;
for you have seen my longing,
and your eyes are dark with love.
Your love is stronger than death,
your passion more relentless than the grave.
You will but speak the word,
amd I shall be healed;
though your touch is the touch of a stranger,
yet is your voice my home.
                 Song of Solomon 3:1-4, John 20: 1-2, 11-18

3 comments:

  1. I read John 20: 1-2, 11-18 in church last Sunday and was VERY moved by it. I just imagined Mary Magdalen's despair when she repeated said "They have taken my Lord away, and I don't know where they have laid him ..."
    Her pain was almost palpable ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, both of you. Yes, it is SO moving, so powerful, isn't it. I treasure those (for me, relatively rare) but wonderful moments when the scriptures come alive like that.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.